Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Forgot how much I liked Firewoman by The Cult...

Anyway, I'm pondering this whole downloading music brouhaha. Let me start by saying I am a pretty ethical person. Karma and all that. But I can't stop myself from downloading music. I do get people saying it's theft and everything, but I don't find myself conflicted about doing it. I have no problem doing it. Just downloaded some Bad Religion and Coldplay a few minutes ago (okay, and can someone hold and intervention for me and my Coldplay obsession?). Why is this? Why do I see the theft/downloading connection yet I don't feel guilty in doing it? I dunno.

I will say that I would not have bought any of these albums. I'm too po'. So I'm not taking money out of their pockets, I'm just becoming a fan that I might not have otherwise had I just heard a few songs on MTV or something. I've developed a love of John Cale music, Rufus Wainwright, discovered Alphaville and deepened my love of the Crash Test Dummies. But I never would have bought or even known of the existence of some of this music. So I don't see the harm. I'm rationalizing, I know. Oh well, they can come for me if they want. As my mother says, they can't get blood out of a turnip.

No comments: